Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Politics and Sales?



As we all know, politics and religion are the most controversial and touchy subjects we can discuss. For this reason many people try to avoid such conversations because they fear they may be rejected by people who have a different view than they have. For genuine sales advisers who build genuine relationships with their customers and prospects, there are times when such topics will arise. How should we handle them? Do we avoid the discussion altogether and change the subject? Perhaps we should fire with both barrels telling the other person what are thoughts are on the subject? Do we try and adapt our position to match that of the other person to win them over?

My approach to this realm of conversation is a genuine, yet humble approach. I usually do not instigate political or religious discussions with clients or prospects. There have been situations however, where the news of day will come up in a discussion with a client, and I will engage in the topic based on the other person's interest to do so. I do not attempt to hide my opinions whatsoever, and at the same time I do not insist that the other person adopt my opinions. In other words, I kindly state my thoughts and ideas on the matter, and I listen to the other person's thoughts and ideas on the topic. I have had several of these types of discussions and I have not had one person go away after it angry or upset.

I know many people who will try and play both sides of the fence trying to cater to the person they are speaking with on these sensitive issues. In my opinion this is not being genuine and most people will pick up on this type of chameleon approach, and eventually find you to be untrustworthy. You are better off telling the other person that you will not talk about such topics, rather than playing the chameleon card. In my opinion, you should be honest in your approach.

The first approach is to be genuine, and if the conversation comes up, you engage in it with charity. The second approach is to be genuine, and kindly tell the other party that you do not usually engage in such topics of discussion. Personally I find that the first approach is more open and I think it affords deeper relationships with customers and potential clients. At the same time I do not think that intentionally instigating these types of conversations in most sales settings is wise, only when they come up naturally. What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment