Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Great Sales Resource Investments

When I was in the last weeks of employment as a senior wireless technician, and started to really contemplate going into sales, I began to listen to talks and read books on sales. I wanted to really understand the journey I was possibly getting ready to embark on. Having been a communications technician for my whole career, I knew that changing careers was risky. I knew I had to educate myself. As I have progressed in my sales career I have continued to educate myself, and I wanted to share some of the most influential resources I have come across.

1. Brian Tracy- The Psychology of Selling and Advanced Selling Strategies.
Brian Tracy was the first person I listened to to prepare myself for the world of sales. Listening to his CDs in my car prepared me mentally to build up confidence and commitment, to face the first 90 days, which are the most challenging for any new sales position. Whenever I started to even have an inkling of a doubt about my career change, I remembered his message on attitude and commitment. Brian Tracy helped me to overcome the most difficult initial hurdles as a newbie in sales.



2. Keith Rosen- The Complete Idiot's Guide To Cold Calling
Cold calling is always a sales person's worst night mare. I went through this book like a text book and prepared myself to make solid cold calls, introducing myself briefly, and making an attractive value offering. I have no fear whatsoever now in approaching new prospects. I actually enjoy it.  


3. Jeffrey Gitomer- Sales Bible, Boot Camp CD set and Caffeine Jolt newsletter.
Gitomer is one of the best sales trainers on the planet. The Sales Bible is on my desk at work, and I refer to it, and several of his other books, time and time again for sales ideas. I highly recommend his Boot Camp CD set available on his website. It gave me all kinds of creative ideas on how to differentiate myself from the competition and have confidence in myself, my company and my product. Subscribe to his free weekly newsletter for sales articles and tips.



4. Nightingale Conant- Tom Kelly Coaching
Another one of the best choices I made when I first started my new sales career was to contract a 90 day coaching session through Nightingale Conant. I worked with Tom Kelly for a period of 90 days by phone and he was able to help me immensely with many things. He taught me how to approach new prospects, identify personality types, answer objections, and how to increase value to both my customer and my employer. It was money well spent. It also came with a nice Brian Tracy multi-CD set that I still listen to when I drive around.  


No comments:

Post a Comment